For this blog hop, some people will tells stories of others, or their own, serving and helping experiences. I want to share a good way to do TWO good things at once: serve others, and get to know your neighbors.
Most people today live in a neighborhood with people they barely know, or don't know at all. We are so busy and so "private" today that we can live next to other "houses" (people come and go a lot) and never know the occupants.
A good way to break the ice, and befriend them is to look for ways to minister to them. Keep your eyes open and ask around about:
- Elderly neighbors who need handy man or household help
- Sick neighbors who could use meals or housecleaning
- Single moms or Dads who could use help with yard work or befriending their children
- Injured or disabled neighbors who need help with tasks they can't perform
- Hurting neighbors who need a friend or listening ear
We should get to know our neighbors so that we can show God's love to the world... and finding out a way to help, serve or minister to them is a perfect "excuse" to introduce yourself.